2010: The Year In Gloriously Navel-Gazing Review
1. What was your New Years Resolution and did you keep it?
I can’t even remember so I’m gonna go with “no.”
2. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A number of people, most of whom I’ve noticed through facebook. Stop having children, please. They are making me too clucky and we can’t afford another.
3. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandma’s best friend. She was an amazing woman and I’ve known her as long as I can remember.
4. What countries did you visit?
The US of Awesome and New York. I mention them as two separate entities based on the number of New Yorkers who have told me that New York is not America.
5. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
You meant aside from ‘money’ and ‘a nanny’ and ‘a housekeeper’ right? Ummmm. How about my own theatre venue?
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Launching Gumball Theatre. And digging it tremendously.
7. What was your biggest failure?
Putting all my eggs in one basket (i.e. Melbourne Comedy Festival) and then being left with pretty much nothing career-wise when the accident derailed plans for the next 6 months.
8. What was the best thing you bought?
9. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine when I was on post-car accident Valium. Oh man. From tantrums to grenades, I was unflappable.
10. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Probably the old dude who crashed into me. Thing is, I wasn’t mad at him at all – you know, accidents happen – until I found out he’d sent a letter to the insurer claiming that actually, the accident wasn’t his fault at all (contrary to the police report), but mine because “she was going 80km an hour and look at my track record I have never had an accident”.
Yes. 80km. In a 50 zone. While trying to get my baby to sleep. All of which of course, was based on…nothing.
Needless to say, his letter was totally disregarded.
But he took away my “hey man, I don’t hate on anybody” thang. Which made me appalled and depressed.
11. Where did most of your money go?
Honestly? Medication and doctor’s bills. And Maltesers.
12. What did you get really excited about?
13. What song will always remind you of 2010?
“Raise Your Glass” by Pink. Not sure if it’s cos it’s a stirring anthem or because it’s always on when I go to the gym.
14. Compared to this time last year are you happier or sadder?
A little bit of both.
15. Thinner or Fatter?
Thinner, but this is misleading – it’s really like comparing one elephant to another.
16. Richer or poorer?
Poorer, but this is misleading – it’s really like comparing one un-cashed up elephant to another.
17. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Getting people over to our messy house.
18. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying about getting people over to our messy house.
19. How did you spend Christmas?
What? This year? We haven’t had it yet. Last year? I can’t remember. Why are you confusing me?
20. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Yes…with the entire cast of “Gavin and Stacey”.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Toss-up between “Gavin and Stacey” and “Breaking Bad”.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope but I’m beginning to feel seriously displeased with Hanna Montana. Or more specifically, the impact she has on my daughter’s daily eye roll quota.
23. What was the best book you read?
Books? What are those? I read most of the Internet.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Mika. (I love this question – it makes me feel like Jay-Z).
25. What did you want and get?
To meet Bill BAILEY!!!!!!
26. What did you want and not get?
For him to pronounce me the Chosen One and file adoption papers.
27. What were your favorite films of this year?
Inception, Inception, Inception. And Megamind.
28. What did you do on your birthday?
My hubby took me on a boat-ride. We have a photo of it, under which I desperately want to scrawl “I’m on a boat!”
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Neck brace chic.
30. What kept you sane?
Post car crash fallout was beyond awful, so I’d say it comes down to a highly delicate cocktail of loved ones, writing and meds.
31. What celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Animal. Especially after watching this.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oprah’s visit to Australia. If that’s not gonna save the world, then God help us all.
33. Who did you miss?
Canada. All of it.
34. Who was the best new person you met?
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010
Life is nothing if unexpected, for better and for worse.
And when you can’t be bothered feeding your children actual food, you can actually get away with: “have a gumball.”
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“The start was freaking awful
And the end was freaking rad,
I hate Hannah Montana,
But I’m loving Breaking Bad.”
Okay fine, I made that up.